New to Zepel? Welcome!
I'm guessing you signed up for Zepel because developers in your team can't take anymore of that clunky project management tool you were using. Or, your team has outgrown task tools that doesn't have the smarts to track several projects and help you ship on time.
Either way, we've got you covered.
Ever since we wrote our first line of code to build Zepel, we've been conscious about building a tool that developers love to use and managers find value with every developer update on Zepel. Our users have been loving it so far and we couldn't be more happier.
Zepel has had me spending more time thinking and planning my tasks rather than learning up the product.
~ Phani, Belong.co
In this post I'm going to share five things you should do after you've created your first project in Zepel, so you can quickly start working with your team and ship features on time.
1. Capture and organize your tasks
Tasks and subtasks are your project's heart and soul. They define when your project is complete and inform your team on what's pending. After all, what's a project without a task, right?
a. Create Tasks
To create a task on an empty list, simply click on the "task" link.
To create a task below another task, hit [Enter] on your keyboard.
b. Break down Tasks into Subtasks
There are times when a task is still vague and needs to be thought out before it can be worked on. Or there are parts of a task that needs to be worked on by more than one person. Subtasks in Zepel can go as deep as you like.
On a task, simply Hit [Tab] to create a subtask.
c. Organize with Sections
By now you should have your list populated with enough tasks and subtasks that makes sense for you. But when you invite your teammate you’d want them to quickly understand your list of tasks, right?
Use Sections to divide and organize the tasks in your list. Sections can be used to create categories, priorities, and more.
To create a Section, type star ' * ' at the beginning of a task.
Psst... Type hyphen ' - ' at the beginning of a section to convert it to a task.
Hover over the task you'd like to change to a section. Click on the + icon on the left and select Section.
2. Bring In Your Team
Once you've listed tasks and organized them with sections, it's time to bring in your team.
From within the list:
1. When you're inside the list, click on the collaborator icon at the top-right corner.
2. In the pop-up, enter your teammate's email id.
3. Click Invite.
Collaborating a team member at a list will give them access to the entire project.
From project's page:
1. When inside the project, click on the Members tab on the left sidebar.
2. Enter your teammate's email id in the text field.
3. Click Invite.
3. Add Boards
You most likely need few developers, couple of QA testers, a designer, and even a marketer to help ship your feature on time.
They all have their own way of working and need their own workflow to get work done on time. In Zepel you can create multiple boards to accommodate each of their workflows within the same project. That way, you'll know exactly where your feature stands and avoid information silos.
How to create a new board for your project in Zepel:
- On the left sidebar from within the project, click on the Boards tab.
2. By default, your project will have a “Default Workflow”. To add another Board to your project, click on “Add Board” button.
3. From the Add Board popup, you can choose to add existing boards that are being used in other projects to this project.
4. To create a new Board, click on “Or, create a new board” from the bottom right corner of the Add Board popup.
5. Give your board a name and click on "Create".
6. Add statuses to your board by clicking on the plus [ + ] icon.
Once you’ve created boards, each task, irrespective of which List they're in, can use statuses from the boards you created for this project.
4. Add Task Properties
Add task properties such as assignees, due date, statuses, and estimate for your task so your team knows who's working on what and are always on the same page in terms of progress.
Simply type ' / ' on a task to add task properties.
Alternatively, you can right click on a task to any of the task properties.
5. Download Desktop Widget
Your developer team is more productive when they're spending time building your product. Which is why Zepel's Desktop Widget is built and designed for your team to easily update statuses, check off tasks, and see how the sprint is progressing, right from the comfort of their desktop.
1. After you've created your Zepel account, download the desktop widget by clicking on your profile on the top-right corner of the page.
2. From the menu, click on the "Get Desktop Widget".
3. Your download should start in a few seconds.
Alternatively, head over to this page to download the desktop widget.